Thursday, January 6, 2011

blood 6/365

Andy gave blood today.  This is a really amazing and wonderful thing.  He is donating blood at Children's Hospital in Boston.  He was asked to donate for a specific person (I presume kiddo) who has the same type blood.  Andy is A- and apparently not many people with that blood type are donating these days.

This is especially great because he is able to help someone live.  But also because he had donated to the Red Cross for years and years until he became black-listed.  One time when he and I were donating platelets he got a call from the Red Cross.  Apparently he had the bacteria that can cause a cavity in his blood.  Andy had no cavities, nor did he have any symptoms.  The blood he donated then was not able to be used, and he was (still is) not able to donate to the Red Cross ever again.

He checked with his doctor, and she explained that this bacteria was gone within a few weeks, and that his blood is perfectly fine to donate.  For a long time I was donating without him, and it was not fair that he couldn't donate.

I am so glad that he is donating blood again. I'm glad that places other than the Red Cross aren't as strict, and that he can again be helping people.  I need to call them up and donate some myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment