Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Oh Hawaii how I miss you! 5/365

So Hawaii has been on my mind lately.  First of all Andy got me this awesome retro print of the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park for Christmas.  I have to say that it was one of the best places I've ever visited.  
In the park we were able to hike the Kilauea Iki crater.  We found out about the park's lava conditions from the very friendly Ranger Don, then hiked down into the crater.  It was really incredible.  Andy and I thoroughly enjoyed the park.  You just can't beat national parks.  (We just recently dvr'd the National Parks documentary... it is amazing.  I'm so glad our country has preserved these beautiful places for everyone to see!)

The Big Island was one of my favorite parts of our Honeymoon.  It was so diverse.  It has something like 12 out of the 15 climate zones on earth.  We were on top of Mauna Kea one night (highest mountain in the world if you count the part that is underwater!)  and the next night we were on a boat watching lava pour into the ocean.

Our Hawaii trip came flooding back to me today because a student of mine is going this spring and her mom wanted advice for trip planning.  I almost advised her to pack me in their suitcase.  I really would LOVE to go back.

If you ever get the chance to go to Hawaii, the Big Island can't be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment